Sunday, July 21, 2013

2006 The Bungled Rendezvous



Lauren met Phillip at one of the day habilitation programs that are part of a number of varied locations that ACLD has created to take special care of handicapped individuals in the community at large. She came home from her program Bridges and immediately picked up the phone to call me at work.  "Mom, your not going to believe this". "I met a guy!". She pronounced each word carefully "I  Met  a  guy". I was picturing the  giant smile that was on her face, it was in that voice.  "I didn't want to give him our phone number, she gushes! because I remembered what you said about strangers and not giving them my phone number, right?" She is losing her breath at this point. " So I took his phone number, right?" She is rambling . "I told him I can't call him until you come home, right?  When you come home I will call him, right?" "Ok, ok" I said. Hold on just a minute. "Is he part of the program?" "No, he lives in his own apartment". " Then what was he doing there?" "He said, he was there to see his therapist.  Mom he's so cute and he was so nice, can I call him please, please…." "Ok, ok, we'll talk when I get home".

She called him that night and they talked about getting together soon. Meanwhile I had given her some questions I wanted answered when she did talk to him.  So when she got off the phone I asked her to join me at the kitchen table.  "How old is he? " "He's 42". "Lauren, don't you think that is a little old for you? Your only 27?  Is he close with his parents?" I asked. "Yes, they talk all the time".  "What does he do for a living? Is he working?" "yes, he has a job at Applebee's" she answered. "What does he do at Applebee's?" " I don't know, I didn't ask, I forgot, no more questions" she said with a stern warning " I am going out with him, whether you like him or not!"

 The next evening he called and I asked to speak to him.  He was nervous so I didn't press him.  He seemed mild enough the few words we spoke.  Lauren took the phone and went into the bedroom to talk in private.

 The next day I went to work.  At the time I was commuting on the Long Island Railroad to Manhattan. I called Lauren from work as usual and she seemed distraught." What's wrong?" I asked.

"I want to meet Phillip, he's coming to meet me". "Where? You can't meet him now, you need to wait until I'm home" I said excitedly. "He wants to meet now, I'm going to meet him" she shouted. The phone went dead. I called my sister Maryjane and told her what was happening  and she hung up and ran out the door calling one of her daughters, Carol to join her because she may need a hand.  Maryjane lived only 5 minutes away in West Babylon.  When she got to my block she spotted Lauren sneaking around the building. She also spotted a man watching her every move.  She stopped the car and yelled at her to get in the car immediately! Lauren did as she was told. She said Phillip never showed up at the seven eleven as planned. After work, I picked  Lauren up at Maryjane's.  On the way home I reminded her she was never supposed to go to the seven eleven unless I was home.  She said Phillip couldn't find the seven eleven.  He told the cab driver all he knew was a seven eleven. Of course, that's all Lauren knew. She said she told him there was a seven eleven on the corner.  Phillip knew all the cab drivers, because that is how he got to work every day.  He had the cabbie driving to seven elevens all over town, just not the right seven eleven.  Lauren and Phillip were so anxious to see each other they never asked anyone for the proper directions.  That is when I knew they would be good for each other.

 Lauren and Phillip have been an item ever since. They broke up for a brief period in 2010, but that story is for another day.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment